GCAP Free Boba & Reusable Straws
Time & Location
About the Event
GCAP will be giving out free boba with reusable straws! We strive to educate the student body about single-use plastics regarding both the negative effects they have on the environment and what students can do about it! (Undergraduate Students only)
Did you know…
- 500,000 single-use plastic straws are used every single day
- These straws, like all single-use plastics, are often not recycled and can cause serious damage in the natural environment. More and more companies and cities around the world are banning single-use plastic straws.
- Worldwide, we buy 1 million plastic bottles every minute!
- While most plastic bottles are recyclable, only about 23% end up being recycled.
- Even when single-use plastics are sent to landfills (there are 3,091 active landfills in the U.S. alone), they aren’t harmless. Landfill liners can leak harmful pollutants into the watershed and plastics on the tops of landfills can be carried away by the wind. The best way to curb single-use plastic pollution is to reduce your personal plastic consumption!
- “Choosing to buy products with less packaging or no packaging altogether makes a big difference.” However, in situations where it may be more difficult to avoid plastic-free packaging, using reusables to fill up items in bulk or a drink at a coffee shop that would otherwise be in single-use plastic, or even going to places that sell food products in biodegradable containers are also great alternatives.
Single-use-plastics frequently do not make it to a landfill or are recycled. A full 32% of the 78 million tons of plastic packaging produced annually is left to flow into our oceans; the equivalent of pouring one garbage truck of plastic into the ocean every minute. This is expected to increase to two per minute by 2030 and four per minute by 2050. By 2050, this could mean there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans. Choosing to buy products with less packaging or no packaging altogether makes a big difference.
- I want Boba!$0$00$0
- I brought my own straw!$0$00$0